are christmas cactus safe for cats

How Christmas Cactus Plants Impact Pets’ Health. If your pet considers Christmas cactus to be a treat for the teeth instead of the eyes and chows down accordingly, you don’t need to panic. The ASPCA lists Christmas cacti as non-toxic for both dogs and cats―neither the cactus nor the flowers are poisonous to pets.

Help us make PetMD better

Was this article helpful?

What Holiday Plants Are Poisonous to Cats?

The holiday plants listed below are toxic to your cat if consumed:

Numerous lily species, such as the Easter lily, tiger lily, Japanese show lily, and certain daylilies, are highly toxic to cats. Even a few nibbles of a lily leaf can cause acute renal failure in your cat, which can lead to death. Seek emergency veterinary care as soon as possible. Some types, like the Peruvian lily, calla lily, and peace lily, are less poisonous. Instead of kidney failure and death, these may irritate the mouth and gastrointestinal tract if consumed.

A cat that consumes any number of holly berry varieties will become poisoned. They contain saponins, which can result in diarrhea, vomiting, convulsions, excessive drooling, and stomach pain. If your cat consumes any part of the holly plant, even though its toxicity level is thought to be low, speak with your veterinarian to find out if treatment is required.

Although the smell of mistletoe makes one think of stolen kisses, mistletoe has a less desirable effect on a cat’s heart if consumed. Phoratoxins and lectins found in mistletoe can cause a decrease in blood pressure and a slowing of the heart rate. Other typical indications of ingestion include weakness, breathing difficulties, vomiting, and diarrhea. In order to find out the next steps in pet care, call your veterinarian as soon as possible if your pet consumes any mistletoe.

For many people, the Christmas tree is a part of the holiday season, but it can be toxic and dangerous for cats. The oil in sap, particularly from fir trees, can irritate the lining of the mouth and stomach if consumed. Furthermore, cats are drawn to ribbons and tinsel, which can entangle them in their intestines and cause intestinal blockage. Get in touch with your veterinarian as soon as possible if your cat starts vomiting because they might have eaten something that requires surgery to remove.

The amaryllis plant is toxic throughout, but its bulbs contain the greatest amount of a toxin known as phenanthridine alkaloid. This toxin results in blood pressure fluctuations, tremors, convulsions, and vomiting. To find out what to do next for your cat’s care if it eats any part of the amaryllis plant, call your veterinarian right away.

Like amaryllis, all Christmas rose parts are poisonous. The Christmas rose contains cardiotoxins and is not a true rose species. The most typical indications of ingestion are diarrhea, vomiting, drooling, and abdominal pain. To find out what to do next if your cat consumes any part of the Christmas rose, get in touch with your veterinarian.

Rumors of poinsettia toxicity can be exaggerated. Despite being toxic to pets, these plants typically cause discomfort rather than more severe symptoms. The gastrointestinal tract and oral mucosa are irritated by the plant. The most typical clinical symptoms include diarrhea, vomiting, and oral discomfort. Although hospitalization is not usually required, your cat’s gastrointestinal irritation may require treatment.

1 Answer 1 Sorted by:

According to the ASPCA website, the Christmas Cactus plant is one of the few plants that are not toxic to cats. Before you bring any plant into the house, take a quick look at their website to see if the plant is toxic to your cat (because most plants are): If you really want to keep the plant, you can try spraying the plant with diluted Cheyenne pepper or hanging the plant somewhere your cat cant jump (although they will almost always find a way).

A few “rights” are forfeited when you decide to bring a cat into your house, including the freedom to use the restroom alone, the ability to decorate your Christmas tree or put ribbon on your gifts, the ability to wear clothes free of cat hair, and, yes the right to have plants inside your house.

You will undoubtedly agree that the friendship and love you receive in return are well worth the few things you have to give up!

Its innate. Cats chew plants. Its really much easier to get rid of the plant. “Getting on to” your cat and observing how much of a bite your cat can “get away with” before you notice will no longer occur. I believe that everyone will find their home to be more tranquil without plants.

Thanks for contributing an answer to Pets Stack Exchange!

  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!.
  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.
  • expressing opinions and supporting them with references or firsthand knowledge

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. Draft saved Draft discarded.


How do I get my cat to stop eating my Christmas cactus?

You could remove it to a room with a closed door to which the cat has no access. Another option is to distract your cat with other plants that it likes and that aren’t harmful to it, such as catnip, catmint, parsley, or lemon balm, so it leaves your safeguarded Christmas cactus alone.

Is a Christmas cactus poisonous?

The Christmas cactus is not poisonous to humans or cats and dogs. That is not to say you should go feeding your dog Christmas cactus leaves, however. The fibrous plant material of the cactus can cause vomiting and diarrhea in mass quantities.

Are cactus poisonous to cats?

Cactus are not toxic if consumed, but their sharp spines make them hazardous to pets all the same. Take particular care with members of the Opuntia (Prickly Pear) genus. They don’t always have long spines, but they do have tiny, barbed glochids.

Why does my cat keep trying to eat my cactus?

First, they may be instinctively searching for nutrients not provided to them in their regular diets. Or, some cats may feel the need to regurgitate something disagreeable. Eating enough plant material can have this effect on many cats, who may be trying to dislodge a big hairball, or some other undesirable object.