are daffodils bad for cats

The short answer is yes. The whole plant is toxic, especially the bulb. As a part of the Amaryllidaceae family, daffodils are poisonous to cats, though rarely fatal. If your cat ingests any part of the plant, they can experience some level of toxicity.

What Are The Signs Of Daffodil Poisoning In Cats?

The amount and part of the plant that a cat eats will determine how severe their daffodil poisoning is. Poisoning symptoms may manifest as soon as two hours following ingestion. Pet owners are advised by the ASPCA to keep an eye out for the following symptoms of daffodil poisoning:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • abdominal pain
  • Salivation and drooling
  • Labored breathing
  • Shivering
  • Lethargy

Your cat may also have tremors, heart arrhythmias, and low blood pressure if she consumed a significant amount of the flower.

While more commonly seen in human gardeners who handle a lot of daffodils, some cats can also have pesky skin reactions to the plant. “Daffodil pickers’ rash” can develop in response to the plant’s calcium oxalate crystals: sharp particles that irritate the skin. These crystals are most concentrated in the sap of the stems and bulbs of daffodils.

In most cases, symptoms will clear up on their own within 12-48 hours. If you strongly suspect your cat has eaten a daffodil, however, don’t wait for symptoms to appear: act quickly, and call your vet ASAP. He or she will be able to advise you on what steps to take next.

Why Are Daffodils Poisonous to Cats?

Daffodils are members of the Amaryllidaceae family of plants. All parts of the plant are toxic. Alkaloids, nitrogenous organic compounds found in plants, have significant physiological effects on humans and animals, and they are present in daffodils. Although the entire plant is poisonous, the bulb is the most harmful because it contains the highest amounts of these alkaloids.

Additionally, daffodils contain calcium oxalate crystals. These crystals can irritate skin, and it’s thought that the calcium oxalate crystals in stem sap are what lead to people’s contact dermatitis. Prolonged exposure may also cause irritation to your cat.

What To Do If Your Cat Has Ingested A Daffodil

First, it’s important not to panic. Remember that, in certain cases, veterinary care is not necessary, particularly if your cat has only consumed a small amount of the plant. Remain composed and take out any visible plant material from your cat’s mouth or fur.

Although cat daffodil poisoning rarely results in death, you should still contact your veterinarian for more guidance. If treatment is required, the sooner it’s started, the better.

Tell your veterinarian, if you can, what portion of the daffodil your cat has eaten and how much of it. Better yet, bring a sample of the plant to the veterinarian’s office so they can assess how toxic it is. A quick snapshot on your phone will also work.

To treat daffodil poisoning, your vet may administer medication to induce vomiting. Activated charcoal can also be used to move the toxins through your cat’s digestive tract, according to PetMD. If your cat has been vomiting a lot, she may require intravenous fluids to combat dehydration.

FAQ

What happens if my cat eats a daffodil?

The spring flowers contain a poisonous alkaloid that can trigger vomiting while crystals in the bulbs are severely toxic and can cause serious conditions such as abnormal heart rhythms or breathing problems in cats and dogs.

Can cats be in the same room as daffodils?

While daffodils are a beautiful sign of spring, they are unfortunately dangerous for our feline friends. Daffodil bulbs contain crystals that are extremely toxic to cats if eaten. The heads and leaves can also make your cat unwell if consumed.

What is the most toxic flower to cats?

Lilies. This beautiful unofficial symbol of Spring is among the most toxic flowers to cats. All varieties – including the Easter, Tiger, Stargazer, Red, Wood, and Day – are unsafe. With some flowers, the petals and the buds are the hazards for cats but, with lilies, it’s also the pollen, the leaves, and the stems.

Are daffodils toxic to pets?

Yes, daffodils are poisonous to dogs and you should keep them away from your pet. These plants contain a toxic component called lycorine which can cause digestive upset when ingested. There are other substances in a daffodil flower that might also cause irritation to the skin and to the mouth and throat if ingested.