are daffodils dangerous for cats

The short answer is yes. The whole plant is toxic, especially the bulb. As a part of the Amaryllidaceae family, daffodils are poisonous to cats, though rarely fatal. If your cat ingests any part of the plant, they can experience some level of toxicity.

What To Do If Your Cat Has Ingested A Daffodil

First, it’s important not to panic. Remember that, in certain cases, veterinary care is not necessary, particularly if your cat has only consumed a small amount of the plant. Remain composed and take out any visible plant material from your cat’s mouth or fur.

Although cat daffodil poisoning rarely results in death, you should still contact your veterinarian for more guidance. If treatment is required, the sooner it’s started, the better.

Tell your veterinarian, if you can, what portion of the daffodil your cat has eaten and how much of it. Better yet, bring a sample of the plant to the veterinarian’s office so they can assess how toxic it is. A quick snapshot on your phone will also work.

To treat daffodil poisoning, your vet may administer medication to induce vomiting. Activated charcoal can also be used to move the toxins through your cat’s digestive tract, according to PetMD. If your cat has been vomiting a lot, she may require intravenous fluids to combat dehydration.

Pets spending more time in the garden comes with its own risks

After accidentally poisoning herself while consuming a daffodil, an extremely astute cat climbed into her pet carrier to notify her owner that she was ill.

Asha, a rescue cat, was rushed to our emergency clinic in Nottingham after she became so ill that she was able to signal for help.

Downstairs from her owner Anna Shaw’s apartment, Asha consumed the flower in the shared backyard.

Now that more pets are probably going to be kept in back gardens during the coronavirus lockdown, Anna is eager to spread the word about the risks daffodils pose to companion animals.

Find an Emergency Vet Asha the Cat unintentionally poisoned herself by consuming a daffodil

Find your nearest clinic for immediate treatment.

What Are The Signs Of Daffodil Poisoning In Cats?

The amount and part of the plant that a cat eats will determine how severe their daffodil poisoning is. Poisoning symptoms may manifest as soon as two hours following ingestion. Pet owners are advised by the ASPCA to keep an eye out for the following symptoms of daffodil poisoning:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • abdominal pain
  • Salivation and drooling
  • Labored breathing
  • Shivering
  • Lethargy

Your cat may also have tremors, heart arrhythmias, and low blood pressure if she consumed a significant amount of the flower.

While more commonly seen in human gardeners who handle a lot of daffodils, some cats can also have pesky skin reactions to the plant. “Daffodil pickers’ rash” can develop in response to the plant’s calcium oxalate crystals: sharp particles that irritate the skin. These crystals are most concentrated in the sap of the stems and bulbs of daffodils.

In most cases, symptoms will clear up on their own within 12-48 hours. If you strongly suspect your cat has eaten a daffodil, however, don’t wait for symptoms to appear: act quickly, and call your vet ASAP. He or she will be able to advise you on what steps to take next.

FAQ

What happens if my cat eats a daffodil?

The spring flowers contain a poisonous alkaloid that can trigger vomiting while crystals in the bulbs are severely toxic and can cause serious conditions such as abnormal heart rhythms or breathing problems in cats and dogs.

Can I have daffodils in the house with cats?

Unfortunately, daffodils and our feline friends are not a good combination, as these bright flowers are poisonous to cats and can cause some serious harm if ingested.

Are tulips and daffodils poisonous to cats?

Lilies, daffodils, azaleas, and tulips are just a few of the common flowers that can be lethal to cats.

What is the most toxic flower to cats?

Lilies. This beautiful unofficial symbol of Spring is among the most toxic flowers to cats. All varieties – including the Easter, Tiger, Stargazer, Red, Wood, and Day – are unsafe. With some flowers, the petals and the buds are the hazards for cats but, with lilies, it’s also the pollen, the leaves, and the stems.