are golden pothos poisonous to cats

Called the Ceylon creeper, money plant, hunter’s robe, and devil’s ivy, the golden pothos plant is poisonous to cats. Due to the raphides and calcium oxalate in the plant, cat owners are advised to keep this one away from their furry friends.

Diagnosis of Golden Pothos Poisoning in Cats

Take your cat to the vet right away if you see them chewing on a golden pothos plant or if you start to notice any symptoms of golden pothos poisoning. Take a photo or sample of the plant if you witness your cat chewing on it so the veterinarian can quickly determine what’s wrong with your pet. Make sure to provide as much information as you can about the symptoms you have seen. Golden pothos poisoning cannot be diagnosed with a test; therefore, your veterinarian will primarily rely on the information you provide.

The vet will begin with a physical examination. The veterinarian should be able to detect calcium oxalate crystals in your cat’s mouth after looking into its oral cavity. These crystals are a sign that your cat has come into contact with a toxic plant. Since many plants contain crystals of calcium oxalate, the veterinarian might not be able to identify the specific plant that caused your cat’s ailment.

Pothos Are Toxic to Cats

All types of pothos are toxic to cats if consumed, according to the ASPCA. This is because the crystals of calcium oxalate found in these tropical plants irritate skin when they come into contact with them. Intense burning of the lips, tongue, and mouth, excessive drooling, vomiting, and trouble swallowing are symptoms of pothos toxicity. Cats are very good at hiding their pain, so some of these symptoms might be difficult to identify at first. However, you should contact your local veterinarian straight away to have your cat checked out if you notice any changes in behavior and suspect that it may have eaten part of a pothos plant.

What is Golden Pothos Poisoning?

These crystals cause an extreme amount of discomfort. Your cat may drool a lot, throw up, or paw at his mouth to try to relieve the burning sensation brought on by the crystals if he has golden pothos poisoning. He might also have discomfort or swelling that makes it difficult for him to swallow.

The majority of cats who suffer from golden pothos poisoning will recover fully, but because they are in excruciating pain, you should contact a veterinarian as soon as possible to help your cat feel better. If the symptoms of golden pothos poisoning are not treated, your cat may also experience swelling in their airway, which is another reason to get help right away.

Cats cannot handle the toxic golden pothos plant, also referred to as the pothos, devil’s ivy, taro vine, or ivy arum. The poisonous calcium oxalate crystals found in the leaves and stem of the golden pothos can pierce soft tissues in the mouth, throat, and stomach. Youtube Play.

FAQ

What happens if my cat eats golden pothos?

Pothos plants contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause irritation and swelling of the mouth, tongue, and lips, as well as difficulty swallowing and vomiting if ingested by pets. In severe cases, pothos plant ingestion can lead to difficulty breathing and even death.

How toxic is golden pothos?

Pothos plants are poisonous to children, pets, and adults. The leaves contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals that can cause negative reactions due to their needle-like shape. While Pothos can be harmful if ingested, it will not be fatal.

How do I keep cats away from pothos?

Sprinkle cayenne pepper around the leaves of houseplants and your cat will back away pretty quickly. Cats also hate the smell of citrus. Put orange and lemon peels in your pots along with the plants to help deter them. Another option is spraying the leaves directly with diluted lemon juice or orange oil.

Are golden pothos safe for pets?

Despite the pothos popularity, they are poisonous to animals. While they rarely cause death, ingestion of the calcium oxalates found in these plants can cause severe gastrointestinal distress. These plants should be kept out of the reach of pets.