are grapes good for cats

Even a small amount of grapes and raisins can cause your cat to become ill — they can even lead to rapid development of kidney failure. Within 12 hours of ingestion, vomiting sometimes occurs.

Are Grapes Bad for Cats?

Although it is rare, grape toxicity in cats has been reported. The signs of toxicity in dogs and cats that consume grapes or raisins are approximately 15% of the total. They include restlessness, decreased appetite, and vomiting. According to a study, less than 1% of participants (all of whom were dogs) eventually suffered kidney damage. On the other hand, kidney damage in cats following consumption of grapes or raisins has been reported, so we know it can occur, albeit infrequently.

Although the toxin’s identity is still unknown, given that both seedless and seeded grapes have been implicated, we think it is not present in the seeds. It is currently believed to be a water-soluble substance found in grape flesh. There is some evidence that suggests tartaric acid, which can be found in grapes and raisins in varying concentrations, could be the culprit.

How Vets Treat Grape Toxicity in Cats

Any cat that has consumed grapes will typically undergo a comprehensive physical examination by a veterinarian, who will closely monitor the animal’s vital signs and any discomfort, especially in the kidney area. There will be baseline blood and urine samples taken, which is highly beneficial for comparisons in the coming hours and days. To assist in creating a comprehensive diagnosis and treatment plan tailored to your cat’s unique situation, animal poison control may be contacted.

Usually, your cat’s veterinarian will attempt to decontaminate its digestive tract by making it vomit and then using a binding agent to try to absorb any remaining toxins. Additionally, they will attempt to flush the kidneys and bloodstream with IV fluids, which maintains a high urine flow in an effort to shield the kidneys from harmful substances.

Throughout your cat’s hospital stay, the veterinarian will frequently check their blood work. Many cats can return home in 24 to 36 hours if there are no indications of kidney damage. Longer stays, however, may be necessary if the kidneys are damaged. In this situation, long-term medication may be required to be administered at home; however, this will depend on the extent of the damage.

While it is very rare for cats to eat grapes and even less common for them to get sick from them, kidney damage from grape consumption can be fatal. As long as we don’t know more, it’s best to keep raisins and grapes out of your cat’s reach and to report any grape consumption to your veterinarian.

Featured : iStock.com/IRYNA KAZLOVA

Not sure whether to see a vet?

Our vet-created Symptom Checker asks you a few questions about your pet’s symptoms and provides you with the most likely causes and recommended course of action.

Sandra Mitchell is a New York State College of Veterinary Medicine graduate from 1995. Since graduation, she has worked in many fields.

FAQ

What happens if my cat eats a grape?

Cats can eat grapes only in minimal amounts. Ingestion of large quantities of grapes and raisins can cause an upset stomach or even cause poisoning in cats. Symptoms of grape toxicity include loss of appetite, lethargy, increased thirst, dehydration, and abdominal pain.

Why does my cat love grapes?

Why would my cat even eat grapes? If you think about it, grapes are toy-sized and easy to bite! Grapes are often left out for human grazing in a tabletop bowl where pets can reach them. Grape stems have an interesting stick-like texture, too.

What fruits can cats not eat?

Cats should not be fed grapes or raisins as they can lead to kidney disease and organ failure. Citrus fruits (such as oranges, grapefruits, lemons and limes) are also mildly toxic for cats and can cause a stomach upset.