are grapes okay for cats

Grapes and Raisins

But it’s not a good idea. Although it isn’t clear why, grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in cats. And, a small amount can make a cat ill. Repeated vomiting and hyperactivity are early signs.

Are Grapes Bad for Cats?

Although it is rare, grape toxicity in cats has been reported. The signs of toxicity in dogs and cats that consume grapes or raisins are approximately 15% of the total. They include restlessness, decreased appetite, and vomiting. According to a study, less than 1% of participants (all of whom were dogs) eventually suffered kidney damage. On the other hand, kidney damage in cats following consumption of grapes or raisins has been reported, so we know it can occur, albeit infrequently.

Although the toxin’s identity is still unknown, given that both seedless and seeded grapes have been implicated, we think it is not present in the seeds. It is currently believed to be a water-soluble substance found in grape flesh. There is some evidence that suggests tartaric acid, which can be found in grapes and raisins in varying concentrations, could be the culprit.

What To Do if Your Cat Has Eaten Grapes

Though rare, the effects of acute kidney disease are very concerning, so it’s best to contact a veterinarian right away if your cat has eaten grapes—even just one grape. In this case, time is of the essence because substantial harm can happen very quickly.

If your cat has eaten ANY grapes at all, the best course of action is to contact your veterinarian (or an emergency clinic) right away. They will be able to tell you more accurately if you need any home care and will probably suggest that you get in touch with poison control.

Bring your cat to the closest veterinary hospital right away if you think they may have eaten multiple grapes so they can get treated. If your veterinarian has not advised you to induce vomiting, do not do so. Attempting to induce vomiting in a cat can easily result in more harm than good.

Why are grapes bad for cats?

First of all, there are a few reasons why giving our feline companions sweet fruit in general is not a smart idea. Since cats are obligate carnivores, meat and protein should make up the majority of their diet. Furthermore, because cats lack sweet taste receptors, they won’t enjoy fruit as much as humans do. For this reason, adding grapes to a cat’s diet would be strange, not to mention risky given how harmful this tiny fruit is to dogs.

Additionally, there is some evidence that grapes can be toxic to cats. After eating this sweet fruit, some cats have experienced gastrointestinal distress; more severe issues like kidney failure have also been documented. Grapes are extremely dangerous to dogs because they can cause kidney failure, which can potentially be fatal. This is the reason it’s crucial to never give your pet grapes at all.

A potential choking hazard is another reason to keep curious cats away from grapes, especially if the fruit contains seeds.

FAQ

What happens if my cat eats a grape?

Cats can eat grapes only in minimal amounts. Ingestion of large quantities of grapes and raisins can cause an upset stomach or even cause poisoning in cats. Symptoms of grape toxicity include loss of appetite, lethargy, increased thirst, dehydration, and abdominal pain.

Why does my cat love grapes?

Why would my cat even eat grapes? If you think about it, grapes are toy-sized and easy to bite! Grapes are often left out for human grazing in a tabletop bowl where pets can reach them. Grape stems have an interesting stick-like texture, too.

What fruits can cats not eat?

Cats should not be fed grapes or raisins as they can lead to kidney disease and organ failure. Citrus fruits (such as oranges, grapefruits, lemons and limes) are also mildly toxic for cats and can cause a stomach upset.

Is it okay for cats to chew on grape vines?

Although extremely uncommon in cats, ingestion of grape stems and plants can cause gastrointestinal obstruction. The leaves and plant, while not toxic, are very difficult to digest. Signs of problems include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, straining to defecate, and/or a decreased appetite.