are poinsettias poisonous to dogs and cats

Choosing The Right Breed

It’s crucial to keep in mind to decorate for the holidays in a responsible dog-owner manner as you get ready to deck the halls and trim the trees this winter.

Pet owners need to be aware of the risks that their dogs face throughout their lives, not just when they are puppies. Numerous traditional holiday decorations can pose a risk to dogs and cats, ranging from electric shock to ingesting them. According to American Kennel Club Chief Veterinary Officer Dr., “Holiday plants are beautiful and make the home smell great, but beware of their potential risk to pets.” Jerry Klein.

Have trouble using this page? Do you have any accessibility issues related to a disability? Email us at ag-web-team@purdue.edu. edu so we can help.

The College of Veterinary Medicine at Washington State University, provides the following information for Poinsettia, as well as Mistletoe and Holly. “Holiday Health Hazards” (https://hospital.vetmed.wsu.edu/2021/11/23/holiday-health-hazards-for-pets/)

“Despite the widespread belief that poinsettia plants are toxic to animals, household pets are not harmed by them unless they consume a significant amount of their leaves and bracts.” When cats chew on leaves, some of them may salivate and throw up if they swallow any of the leaves. It’s a good idea to keep newly brought plants out of reach because cats and puppies love to chew on them.”

“Poinsettias fill homes with color during the holidays. Although poinsettias have a negative reputation, they are not particularly toxic to pets. Although they do have a milky sap that can irritate the mouth, the symptoms are usually not severe.

“If your pet has possibly consumed any part of the mistletoe plant, you should seek veterinary consultation right away as the plant can be highly toxic to animals.” Within hours of consumption, mistletoe can result in vomiting, severe diarrhea, dyspnea, shock, and even death.

Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Dogs?

Although poinsettias are somewhat toxic plants and should be handled carefully, there are rarely significant or fatal risks associated with them. Chemicals found in home detergents are also present in the milky white sap that is found in poinsettia stems. When consuming large amounts, mild symptoms like drooling, vomiting, or occasionally diarrhea may appear. Additionally, coming into contact with the milky white poinsettia sap may cause skin irritation.

You can use poinsettias in your home as long as you use caution because they have a low toxicity level. It is advisable to take all reasonable safety measures, including keeping decorations and plants out of your dog’s reach and never leaving your dog alone when there are potentially dangerous foods, decorations, or plants around. Even though a dog that eats poinsettia rarely needs medical attention, you should still get in touch with your veterinarian if your dog exhibits any clinical symptoms.