can a cat die from eating a poisoned rat

Rodenticide poison, if ingested by a dog or a cat, can cause problems ranging from an inability to clot blood, respiratory distress, neurologic problems such as seizures, and ultimately death. Say no to glue traps. Also known as sticky traps, glue traps should also be avoided in homes with or without pets.

Not sure whether to see a vet?

Our vet-created Symptom Checker asks you a few questions about your pet’s symptoms and provides you with the most likely causes and recommended course of action.

How Veterinarians Diagnose Rat Poisoning in Cats

Veterinarians typically use a client’s history of exposure to determine the diagnosis of rodenticide poisoning.

A veterinarian will inquire about the type, amount, and timing of your cat’s exposure to rat poison when they first arrive at the hospital. Bring the package of rat bait with you if possible. Given the variety of rat poisons available and the fact that treatment options vary based on the kind of bait consumed, it’s critical to have as much knowledge as possible.

Your veterinarian will probably suggest baseline lab work, such as a complete blood count and chemistries to check liver, kidneys, and electrolytes, depending on the kind of bait your cat consumed or was exposed to.

Anticoagulant rodenticide: There may be signs of bleeding (anemia) and prolonged coagulation times if enough time has passed since exposure to this kind of rodenticide. Lab work may not be done at the beginning if the cat is treated right away after exposure; rather, it will be completed at the conclusion of the vitamin K treatment period.

Bromethalin: A specific diagnostic test is typically unhelpful. General laboratory tests, such as chemistries and a full blood count, could be carried out.

Vitamin D3: A complete blood count and chemistries are performed. High blood levels of calcium and phosphorus as well as elevated kidney values are examples of abnormal bloodwork.

Unfortunately, there is no one superior “rat bait test. The results of a physical examination, lab work, and the patient’s history are used to diagnose rat bait toxicity.

What is anticoagulant rodenticide poisoning?

Anticoagulant rodenticide poisoning occurs when a cat ingests rodenticide. This typically happens when poison is positioned inside and outside of structures without guardrails or bait stations, giving cats and other non-target animals access to the poison. Relay poisoning, or secondary poisoning, occurs when a person consumes rodents that have been killed by a rodenticide. Although it is rare, this can happen because a cat would have to consume a lot of rodents that had poisoned themselves. Cats that live outside or in places that use rodenticides, such as stables, vineyards, or farms, are more likely to suffer from secondary poisoning, particularly if they eat rodents.

FAQ

What happens if my cat eats a mouse that has been poisoned?

Primary poisoning is a serious risk for pet owners combating a rodent problem with rodenticides. According to the Pet Poison Helpline, effects of primary toxicosis can be mild to lethal, depending how much a cat eats and the poison used. Get her to a veterinarian immediately for treatment.

Will a animal die if it eats a poisoned rat?

Hungry raptors or other wildlife can receive a lethal dose when they feed on the poisoned rats and mice. This is tragic not merely because hawks, owls, foxes and other animals are dying, but because wildlife predators provide us with valuable rodent control services – unless of course we kill them first.

Will cats die if they eat rats?

Whilst catching a mouse or a rat may be a natural activity for cats and in some cases, dogs, eating rodents can have undesirable consequences on our pets. Dangers include infection from intestinal worms and/or toxoplasmosis as well as the possibility of suffering from secondary rat bait poisoning.

Will my cat get sick if he killed a rat?

Can my cat get sick from killing a rat? Cats can get tapeworm, trichinosis or toxoplasmosis from eating rats. Most of the time they will not get bacterial infections from eating live prey.