is a snake plant toxic to cats

Their long, succulent grass-like foliage and striking appearance make them a great addition to your indoor house plant collection. However, many plant lovers, who own pets often ask, “Are snake plants toxic to cats and dogs?” Unfortunately, the answer is yes.

Why are snake plants dangerous to cats?

Snake plants, or Dracaena trifasciata, are popular because they can survive even when given care by inexperienced plant parents, hence their nickname, “Mother-in-Law’s Tongue.” Snake plants contain saponins, compounds that contribute to their hardiness. Saponins help protect snake plants from insects, fungi, and bacteria. But when ingested, saponins can cause gastrointestinal upset in cats. Â.

The stability of cell membranes in every part of the body, including the intestines, depends on cholesterol. A plant containing saponins will weaken intestinal cells in a cat by binding to cholesterol. This may result in an imbalance of water and diarrhea that opens in a new tab. Hemolysis, or the breakdown of red blood cells, may happen in extreme circumstances. Â.

The plant: Alocasia (Elephant’s ear)

Leafy and exotic looking, it’s no wonder that the alocasia is one of America’s most popular houseplants. Unfortunately, it’s a no-go if you have a cat because, like lilies, it contains insoluble calcium oxalates that cause kidney failure, notes the ASPCA.

What to do: If your cat has ingested or chewed on alocasia, get quick veterinary help. The protocol we outlined above also applies here.

Replace it: The calathea medallion is entirely safe for your cat and provides the same lush green foliage and tropical vibes as the alocasia. Furthermore, it is a low-maintenance plant that can be kept healthy even by people without a green thumb.

These dog and cat cleaning suggestions should be known by all pet owners.

is a snake plant toxic to cats

According to Dr., eating this plant can result in nausea, neurological symptoms like balance issues, and occasionally even depression. Zacharias.

What to do: “Immediately go to a veterinary center. If the patient is not neurologically compromised, the only course of treatment will be vomiting (i e. activated charcoal, intravenous fluids to help support the patient and flush the toxin more quickly from the body, monitoring, and symptomatic support—if not acting “drunk” or uncoordinated. ”.

Swap it: Though not quite as broad and leafy, the haworthia retusa (a succulent) offers the same thick and juicy leaf structure as jade. You can nab one at your local Walmart.

is a snake plant toxic to cats

How do I stop my cat from eating snake plants?

Keeping snake plants out of your cat’s environment is the best way to prevent them from being eaten. Certain objects can be trained to elude some cats opens in a new tab Hopefully, the bitter taste of snake plants’ saponins will deter your cat from consuming an excessive amount or any plant material. However, cats are strange creatures, so don’t rely on your resentment to keep them away. Just get rid of the plant. Â.

FAQ

What happens if a cat eats a snake plant?

The plant: Snake plant However, it’s toxic to cats, warns the ASCPA. Snake plants contain chemical compounds called saponins, which result in feline nausea, vomiting and diarrhea if consumed or chewed on.

How are snake plants toxic to pets?

Toxicity. Snake plants are considered mildly to moderately toxic to dogs. They contain saponins, which cause hypersalivation, dilated pupils, and gastrointestinal distress. 3 It is found in the leaves of the snake plant, and it is most harmful when ingested in large quantities.

Can a snake plant cause kidney failure in cats?

It’s called the mother-in-law’s tongue and contains a toxin called nephrotoxin oxalate. If your cat ingests this plant, it may experience vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, and lethargy. If left untreated, the cat could die from kidney failure caused by the toxins in this plant!

What is toxic about a snake plant?

All parts of snake plants (also called mother-in-law’s tongue or Saint George’s sword) are toxic, due to the presence of chemicals called saponins. Saponins can cause gastrointestinal discomfort as well as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea in humans and pets, although the symptoms are much milder for humans.