is an ivy plant poisonous to cats

Ivy. English Ivy or Hedera helix is toxic to cats and other pets and animals. It has poisonous compounds known as hederagenin and polyacetylene, with their foliage being more dangerous than berries.

Peace Lily (aka Mauna Loa Peace Lily)

The calcium oxalate crystals found in spathiphyllum can irritate pets’ mouths, lips, and tongues, as well as cause vomiting, difficulty swallowing, excessive drooling, and severe burning.

Pothos (both Scindapsus and Epipremnum) belongs to the Araceae family. This common household plant can seriously irritate and inflame the tissues of the mouth and other areas of the digestive system if chewed or swallowed.

The crystals of calcium oxalate found in Schefflera and Brassaia actinophylla can irritate pets’ mouths, lips, and tongues, and can also induce vomiting, difficulty swallowing, and excessive drooling.

We have lots more on this subject:

Is English Ivy Poisonous?

is an ivy plant poisonous to cats

Yes, the English ivy is poisonous. It has poisons in it that can irritate the skin, make you throw up, trigger allergic reactions, and more. If an animal comes into contact with the plant or inadvertently consumes a small portion of it, they may experience similar symptoms as humans. Poly-acetylene compounds and toxic triterpenoid saponins are the main culprits responsible for the negative effects. Additionally, contact with the common ivy’s sap can cause dermatitis.

Another toxic ivy variety is the Poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) and its close relative the Poison oak (Toxicodendron diversilobum), which contains a harmful oil substance, called urushiol.

Pet-safe Plant Alternatives to English Ivy

Consider cultivating the following plants as secure, pet-friendly substitutes for English ivy (Hedera helix):

is an ivy plant poisonous to cats

You can leave your dog or cat near the Boston fern (Nephrolepis exaltata) without fear because it is not poisonous to animals. This tropical plant can make a wonderful addition to your indoor garden thanks to its lush foliage. A Boston fern can thrive in your bathroom because it likes the humidity there.

is an ivy plant poisonous to cats

The Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum), commonly referred to as Spider ivy, is another lovely pet-safe plant. Similar to English ivy, this plant is well-known for its ability to filter air and is easy to grow even for beginners. The light-green, arching fronds of the spider plant won’t hurt your inquisitive and lively pet, that much is certain.

FAQ

Is common ivy poisonous?

As with many common garden, house and wild plants, ivy isn’t food and is mildly poisonous if eaten. If you were to eat some, you might get an upset stomach. It is toxic to cats, dogs and horses, but not birds or livestock. Children under five are most at risk from plant poisoning.

What happens if my cat eats Devil’s ivy?

It is deemed toxic to both dogs and cats by the ASPCA. It’s a member of the Aracea family and if chewed or ingested, it may cause significant irritation and swelling of the oral tissues and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.

Can poison ivy hurt cats?

Pets are less likely to experience a reaction to poison ivy, oak, or sumac than we are, and for one simple reason. Their fur largely blocks the irritating agent—an oil called urushiol—from reaching their skin. However, your pet can develop a rash on exposed areas of skin that aren’t completely covered in fur.

How toxic is aloe to cats?

However, aloe is dangerous for cats. Although cats usually will not die from ingesting aloe, it can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, which may lead to dangerous levels of dehydration if left untreated for too long.