is easter lily poisonous to cats

Easter lilies are extremely poisonous to cats, and just 1-2 leaves (or even the pollen) can kill a cat! Even small ingestions can result in severe kidney failure. Sources of poisoning: Many plants of the Lilium and Hemerocallis species are very poisoning.

Easter Lily is the common name for Lilium longiflorum. This fragrant seasonal plant is extremely poisonous for cats. Consuming even tiny quantities of any part of this plant can result in hazardous side effects and even kidney failure death.

Easter morning, a 3-year-old Maine coon cat that had been healthy earlier in the day started throwing up, and on Monday morning, it started throwing up again. At the veterinarians office, the cat was still vomiting. Despite the cat being indoors, its owner discovered a piece of leaf in its vomitus. The Easter lily, which was a gift the day before Easter, was the only plant in the house. The cat had blood and glucose in his urine, and he was dehydrated. Acute renal failure was diagnosed. After two weeks of fluids and dialysis, the cat was sent home with irreversible kidney damage.

It appears that eating Easter lilies can cause kidney failure only in cats. Although plant fragments can choke kids, this one shouldn’t be near them even though it’s not toxic to them.

There is no specific antidote. Veterinary care must start no later than eighteen hours after exposure for it to be effective. It is far preferable to treat immediately since it can reduce the amount of plant material absorbed.

Taking Care of Your Cat After Kidney Damage

The risk of renal failure is the main issue when your cat eats a lily. Long-term kidney damage in your cat can be costly to treat, even if kidney failure is prevented.

Your veterinarian may need to order a blood chemistry panel, complete blood cell count, urinalysis, and blood pressure test in order to confirm the diagnosis of acute kidney failure.

Your friend may be prescribed a variety of drugs and supplements to elevate potassium levels, support kidney function, lower blood pressure, treat anemia, treat gastrointestinal ulcers, lower phosphorus levels, and lessen vomiting if the test results reveal that your cat has severely damaged kidneys.

In order to support kidney functions and lessen the biochemical abnormalities in the body brought on by damaged kidneys, your cat might also need to follow a specific diet. Because canned food contains a lot of water, you should probably start giving your cat canned food even though it will cost a little more. Under the skin, additional fluids may also be administered in certain severe situations.

Are You Worried Your Cat Ate an Easter Lily?

You must take immediate action if your cat exhibits signs of having consumed an Easter lily or other lilies in your home. In most cases, you can verify a problem by looking at the damage the cat did to the plant. But even if that’s not the case, don’t put off getting your cat checked out.

In either case, bring your cat and samples of any potential offenders to the vet. You should also take your cat to the pet hospital if you believe they may be experiencing a reaction to any additional toxins that were overlooked. Your pet will receive better care from a veterinarian if you can give them as much information as possible.

Melanie McLean, a veterinarian at the Food and Drug Administration, explains that early veterinary treatment is critical. McLean goes on to point out that if you “suspect that your cat has eaten a lily, you should call your veterinarian immediately or, if the office is closed, take your cat to an emergency veterinary clinic.”

Taking prompt action will reduce the likelihood of chronic organ damage.

The veterinarian may induce vomiting in your cat and administer intravenous fluids to maintain kidney function and prevent dehydration.

The veterinarian may find a number of common problems when performing a physical examination on your cat. These could include dehydration, enlarged kidneys, and fluid accumulation (edema).

FAQ

Is it OK to have lilies in the house with a cat?

The entire lily plant is toxic: the stem, leaves, flowers, pollen, and even the water in a vase. Eating just a small amount of a leaf or flower petal, licking a few pollen grains off its fur while grooming, or drinking the water from the vase can cause your cat to develop fatal kidney failure in less than 3 days.

Are Easter lilies pet friendly?

The flower has become a holiday mainstay synonymous with Easter because it symbolizes purity and innocence. Despite its popularity, the Easter lily, also known as Lilium longiflorum, can be hazardous to some pets. According to the ASPCA, Easter lilies are toxic to cats, but are not known to harm dogs or horses.

What part of Easter lily is poisonous?

“All parts of the Easter lily plant are poisonous – the petals, the leaves, the stem and even the pollen. Cats that ingest as few as one or two leaves, or even a small amount of pollen while grooming their fur, can suffer severe kidney failure.”

How quickly do cats get sick from lilies?

Within 1-3 hours of ingestion, cats become nauseous leading to a decreased appetite, drooling and vomiting as well as display signs of depression and lethargy. Vomiting is typically self-limiting and resolves within 2-6 hours, but don’t be fooled into thinking Fluffy is getting better.