is holly safe for cats

Holly. While holly berries are an important winter food source for birds they’re toxic to dogs, cats and humans. Several varieties include saponins which can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea if eaten. Other symptoms can include drool, lip smacking and head shaking.

Diagnosis of Holly Poisoning in Cats

Bring your cat in to have a professional evaluation by your veterinarian if you think it may have been poisoned after consuming holly. If symptoms have started but you did not see the cat eating any plants, you might be asked to submit the cat’s medical history in order to help rule out potential causes of digestive distress. Bring a little clipping of the plant with you if you saw the cat eating it but aren’t sure what it was so the veterinarian can identify it. Your veterinarian might inquire as to whether you’ve brought holly into the house if it’s almost Christmas. They might also inquire as to whether or not you let your cat outside.

Next, the vet will conduct a thorough physical examination, looking for any signs of disease. They’ll pay close attention to the mouth for indications of irritation. We’ll use a stethoscope to listen to the heart and lungs. The veterinarian might observe reduced blood pressure and a fast heartbeat. Blood will be drawn for a number of tests, such as a biochemical profile and a complete blood count. This will provide a more comprehensive view of the general health of the cat. Urinalysis may also be required to evaluate the health of the body’s organs.

What are the symptoms of cat poisoning?

For your cat, holly and mistletoe can be extremely dangerous if consumed.

Symptoms of cat poisoning can include the following:

  • Severely upset stomach – vomiting and diarrhoea
  • Sudden drop in blood pressure
  • Breathing trouble
  • Unusual behaviour caused by hallucinations
  • Seizures

Your cat could die if they consume a lot of it.

Even though poinsettias are less toxic, they can still make your cat sick. Your cat may exhibit symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling if they eat it.

Usually, the symptoms go away in a few hours, but if they are especially bad or you’re concerned, call your veterinarian.

Customers of Argos Pet Insurance can always contact 0800 197 6717 for guidance and prompt answers to their inquiries.

Causes of Holly Poisoning in Cats

Any part of the holly plant that a cat consumes can result in holly poisoning. Because holly is a popular seasonal decoration around Christmas, indoor cats might be equally as likely to come into contact with the plant as outdoor cats. Holly can be found growing in gardens year-round. Because of their sharp spines and extremely bitter taste, most cats are discouraged from eating their foliage; however, even a few bites from this plant can result in an adverse reaction.

FAQ

What happens if my cat eats holly?

Yes, hollies are toxic to dogs and cats. All parts of the holly plant, including the leaves, berries, and bark, contain saponins, which are toxic to animals. Saponins can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, abdominal pain, and depression. In severe cases, holly poisoning can lead to seizures, coma, and even death.

Is holly cat friendly?

Holly. One of the few plants which cats in particular are more likely to eat and be poisoned by, the ingestion of holly leaves, berries and stems can all lead to symptoms of poisoning in just a few hours.

Is holly poisonous to pets?

According to the Pet Poison Helpline, yes – holly can be poisonous to dogs.It contains chemicals including saponins, methylxanthines, and cyanogens, which make the entire plant – including the leaves – potentially toxic to furry friends, although the berries are of most concern.

Is sea holly toxic to cats?

Sea holly is not considered poisonous to humans or pets.