will stray cats drink antifreeze

What is ethylene glycol?

In most car antifreeze products, the active ingredient is ethylene glycol, an odorless, sweet-tasting liquid. Additionally, some windshield de-icing agents, hydraulic brake fluid, motor oils, solvents, paints, film processing solutions, wood stains, inks, printer cartridges, and other items contain ethylene glycol in smaller, less dangerous amounts.

How do cats get ethylene glycol poisoning?

The sweet taste of ethylene glycol may draw cats to it. If antifreeze spills or leaks onto driveways or garage floors, a lot of animals will willingly consume ethylene glycol. Since ethylene glycol has a very small safety margin, a cat could easily consume a toxic amount of it. A fatal amount of undiluted antifreeze can be as little as one-eighth of a teaspoon per pound of body weight.

What are the signs of ethylene glycol poisoning?

Ethylene glycol poisoning is divided into three stages.

Stage 1 (between 30 and 12 hours after consumption): The cat might seem inebriated. Lethargy, vomiting, incoordination, excessive thirst, urination, hypothermia (low body temperature), convulsions, and coma are among the symptoms.

Stage 2 (12 to 24 hours after ingestion): A few of the symptoms appear to significantly improve, giving pet owners hopelessness. But cats become dehydrated at this point and experience an increase in heart and breathing rates.

Stage 3: 12 to 24 hours after ingestion: This stage may result in irreversible kidney failure. Lethargy, lack of appetite, vomiting, seizures, coma, and death may be observed along with progressive depression.

If your pet has consumed ethylene glycol or even if you suspect that they have, it is imperative that you contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline, a round-the-clock animal poison control center, at 1-800-213-6680. If your pet is displaying any of the early symptoms. Waiting around is not an option; cats who have consumed antifreeze should receive treatment as soon as possible, as the antidote has a limited window of time to act. Left untreated, the animal may die.