are calla lilies poisonous to cats and dogs

Peace and calla lilies would be considered only mildly toxic dogs. The release of crystals caused when dogs chew or bite the plant causes irritation to their mouth and gastrointestinal tract. In very rare cases, however, the upper airway may swell, making breathing difficult.

This plant, like other members of the Araceae family, has crystals of insoluble calcium oxalate. These crystals can pierce tissue and irritate the mouth and gastrointestinal tract when chewed or bit into by this plant. Very infrequently, upper airway swelling happens, making breathing challenging. See Oxalates (Insoluble) for more information.

White arum, Richardia aethiopica, Richardia africana, Trumpet lily, Florist’s calla, Pig lily, Garden calla, and Arum

What is Calla Lily Poisoning?

Originating in southern Africa, the calla lily is a gorgeously colored flower. Many people like calla lilies in their gardens or even as houseplants. They are grown from a rhizome or a bulb. They are available in an array of hues, including purple, pink, green, orange, and more. Calla lilies tend to flourish in warmer climates.

These large, tubular flowers resemble lilies in appearance, despite not being true lilies. They have thick, waxy petals. Dogs are known to be poisoned by these perennials, which belong to the Arum family and are incredibly beautiful when in bloom. Related flowers in the genus Arum include philodendron, arisaema, caladium, dieffenbachia, and colocasia. These flowers all contain raphides, which are crystals of calcium oxalate.

When dogs eat all or part of a calla lily plant, they can become poisoned by calla lily plants. Insoluble calcium oxalate is a naturally occurring defense substance found in calla lilies. Youtube Play.

Calla Lily Poisoning Average Cost

From 79 quotes ranging from $250 – $2,000

Diagnosis of Calla Lily Poisoning in Dogs

It is imperative that your dog see a veterinarian right away if it has consumed calla lily. The vet might want to check the contents for toxicity if the dog throws up on his own. It is imperative that you notify the veterinarian as soon as you become aware that your dog has consumed Calla Lily so that he can promptly diagnose and treat the animal.

The veterinarian will examine the biochemistry profile, bloodwork, urinalysis, and clinical signs of your dog. The doctor will be monitoring for signs of plant poisoning, such as elevated blood urea nitrogen, creatinine, potassium, and phosphorus. In addition to hypoglycemia, there may also be elevated enzyme levels.

The veterinarian will be examining the urine to look for elevated levels of protein, glucose, isosthenuria (damage to the kidneys), and casts. Anomalous renal tubular cells will arise from calla lily damage. After consuming the plant, any of the aforementioned clinical symptoms typically appear 12 hours later.


What happens if a cat eats a calla lily?

Other lilies, like Calla and Peace lilies, don’t cause fatal kidney failure, but they can irritate your cat’s mouth and esophagus (the tube that connects the mouth to the stomach). Lilies of the Valley are toxic to the heart, causing an abnormal heart beat.

What happens if a dog eats a calla lily?

After a dog has ingested parts of a Calla Lily, symptoms can manifest rapidly, often within two hours. Pet owners should watch for signs of oral irritation, such as pawing at the face or excessive drooling. Gastrointestinal distress is common, indicated by vomiting, diarrhea, and a decreased appetite.

Are calla lilies animal safe?

Calla Lily Are Toxic To Pets | Pet Poison Helpline®

Are calla lily leaves poisonous?

Every part of the Calla Lily plant packs a toxic punch, thanks to compounds like oxalic acid and asparagine. Roots take the cake for being the most toxic, but don’t be fooled; leaves and stems are no friends to your health either.