are daylily poisonous to cats

While their flowers are lovely to see and smell, lilies pose a significant safety threat for your cat. Lilies in the “true lily” and “daylily” families are very dangerous for cats. The entire lily plant is toxic: the stem, leaves, flowers, pollen, and even the water in a vase.

Diagnosis of Daylily Poisoning in Cats

It can be challenging to diagnose daylily poisoning in cats if the pet owner did not witness the toxic element being consumed. Since there isn’t a specific test for daylily poisoning in cats, your veterinarian’s diagnosis will be made after ruling out other potential reasons for your cat’s symptoms. A physical examination, a review of the cat’s medical history, and a consultation with the pet owner will precede the diagnostic procedure. It is crucial that you let the veterinarian know about your cat’s recent behavior and any exposure to daylilies, as this will help rule out other potential reasons. The clinical signs of poisoning mimic other feline-related health conditions. To confirm that your cat is actually experiencing daylily toxicity and not another, more serious underlying illness, the veterinarian will want to perform a number of diagnostic tests. The following diagnostic procedures are probably going to be requested by the veterinarian for the cat:

  • CBC (complete blood cell count)
  • Biochemical profile (blood work)
  • Blood smear test
  • Urinalysis (examination of urine)
  • Fecal floatation test
  • Fecal examination
  • Abdominal ultrasound and/or x-ray
  • Chest ultrasound and/or x-ray
  • Heat radiograph

What is Daylily Poisoning?

Clinical symptoms of daylily poisoning in cats typically appear 6–12 hours after exposure. Cats may exhibit initial symptoms such as dehydration, fatigue, appetite loss, and vomiting. The cat’s clinical symptoms quickly worsen and eventually result in kidney failure, confusion, seizures, and death in a matter of hours. Veterinary treatment is essential because a cat suffering from daylily poisoning can only survive with immediate attention.

Daylilies are scientifically known as Hemerocallis spp. and are members of the Liliaceae family. The Easter, tiger, and Asiatic lilies are among the daylilies in this family; however, there are numerous other types of plants included in this classification. While daylilies are extremely toxic to cats, they are not toxic to dogs.

Daylily Poisoning Average Cost

From 322 quotes ranging from $1,000 – $6,000

Recovery of Daylily Poisoning in Cats

When it comes to cats, the prognosis for daylily poisoning is uncertain and heavily dependent on time. The prognosis for a cat that consumes a lily variety plant and is noticed by the cat owner and taken right away to the vet is significantly better than that of a cat that receives care later. A worse prognosis also applies to older cats and kittens because of their frail anatomy.

Daylily Poisoning Average Cost

From 322 quotes ranging from $1,000 – $6,000


Which lilies are not toxic to cats?

However, not all lilies are poisonous to cats, while some species such as Calla, Peace and Peruvian lilies do not cause kidney damage, but can still cause irritation and gastrointestinal signs if ingested. To avoid your cat coming to any harm, it is a good idea to cat-proof your garden.

How poisonous are daylilies?

Daylilies are prized for their flowers which come in various colors and shapes depending on the variety. They are a popular landscaping plant that will come back year after year. Daylilies or Hemerocallis are safe for humans and dogs but are poisonous for cats. Ingesting Daylilies can be fatal for cats.

Are daylilies safe for pets?

Unlike true lilies, daylilies are not toxic to dogs. So if you’ve got some of these vibrant blooms growing your garden, you don’t need to fret if you catch Fido chewing on a leaf or petal. Daylilies are popular with gardeners because they’re resilient and easy to cultivate in most climates.

Are orange lilies poisonous to cats?

Orange lilies are deathly attractive to cats, but they pack a lethal punch. Every part of the plant is toxic: leaves, petals, pollen, and even vase water. The unidentified toxin zeroes in on feline kidneys with frightening efficiency, causing failure in under 72 hours.