are mint leaves safe for cats

Mint plants contain essential oils that can be dangerous for cats in their undiluted form. But a cat would need to ingest very large amounts of mint to have that much essential oil, which will make your cat sick. Luckily, on their own, cats tend to nibble mint leaves, which won’t deliver anywhere near a toxic dose.

Treatment of Mint Poisoning in Cats

The majority of illnesses brought on by eating mints don’t require medical attention. Treatment might then be required if the cat has a pre-existing medical condition or if there is a severe reaction.

Remove Stomach Contents

To do this, the veterinarian might use hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. In more severe situations, a stomach pump, or gastric lavage, may be used. All plant material will be removed from the stomach during both of these procedures before it can be completely digested.

Supportive Care

During the illness episode, the cat should be kept as comfortable as possible. In order to stabilize the cat, intravenous fluids may be required if the animal has experienced excessive vomiting or diarrhea. An anti nausea injection and ant acids may be given. The cat will need to be hospitalized during this time.

Mint poisoning can be expensive to treat. Get pet insurance right away if you think your dog could get mint poisoning. With Wag!’s pet insurance comparison tool, you can evaluate policies from top providers like Embrace and PetPlan. It only takes a few clicks to find the “pawfect” plan for your pet!

Recovery of Mint Poisoning in Cats

When cats eat too much mint, most of them will recover completely. If liver damage has occurred, the cat may experience persistent health problems as a result. Given how widespread mint plants are, it could be a good idea to familiarize yourself with the varieties that grow naturally in your area, paying particular attention to any that are known to be toxic. It should be noted that no mint essential oil should ever be used medicinally on cats due to its extreme potency. To make sure your cats don’t swallow any potted mint plants, keep them out of their reach. Additionally, it might be a good idea to keep your cat inside to shield it from any toxic plants that might be present in the nearby gardens and other places.

Treating mint poisoning out of pocket can be extremely expensive. Thankfully, the majority of pet insurance providers reimburse claims in 3% of a day, returning 90% of the bill to your pocket. Looking for pet insurance? Compare top providers to locate the best package for your furry friend.

Mint Poisoning Average Cost

From 319 quotes ranging from $200 – $500

Symptoms of Mint Poisoning in Cats

It is uncommon for any kind of illness to develop after consuming most types of mint. If a reaction happens, it will probably only cause upset stomach. Certain varieties of mint have the potential to seriously harm the body. All signs to watch for are listed as follows:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Weakness


Can I put mint leaves in my cats water?

Both catnip and catmint are types of mint that are safe to cats. Garden mint may cause gastrointestinal upset if too much is eaten. The essential oils specific to garden mint have also been known to relax the esophageal valve, making vomiting more likely in a cat who may already be ill.

Why do cats like mint?

Mint (the herb, and where we get the oil to flavor other “mint” products) is in the same family as catnip. Yes, catnip is an actual plant – an herb, actually- and is closely related to mint. Your cat is mostly likely responding to your mint products because it smells similar to catnip.

Are cats allowed to smell mint?

Since peppermint is a particularly powerful essential oil, even the slightest whiff can overrun your kitty’s senses and make them incredibly uncomfortable. Cats are also very sensitive to the phenols contained within essential oils, and these are the primary culprits behind their toxicity when ingested.

Is cat mint safe for pets?

Just like other mint family plants, Catmint is edible and not considered toxic for humans or pets. If large amounts are eaten, it can cause stomach upset, but rarely any other problems. Some people or pets may have reactions to the oils on the foliage and may experience contact dermatitis.