are mums toxic to dogs to cats

Mums (Chrysanthemum spp.).

Considered mildly toxic to dogs, cats, and horses, mums are by far one of the most popular fall flowers. If consumed, you may see vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation, incoordination, and dermatitis in these animals.

Are Mums Poisonous To Dogs Or Cats?

are mums toxic to dogs to cats

Even dried-up mums are harmful to cats and dogs.

Mums come in a variety of species, all of which are considered toxic to cats and dogs. Even dried-up mums are harmful to pets. In comparison to most toxic plants, scientists claim that mums are only “mildly toxic” to pets. In spite of this, pet owners who observe any of the following harmful effects linked to mothers should still get medical help right away:

These are just a handful of the warning signs of harmful consequences. Symptoms arise within a few hours in cats. Pets that are especially susceptible to skin irritation may experience itching from chrysanthemum. Fortunately, mums are rarely life-threatening.

What is Mum Plant Poisoning?

Most of the time, cats do not become seriously poisoned by mum plants. However, gastrointestinal distress could happen if your cat eats the mum plant. To ease your cat’s discomfort, take it to the veterinarian as soon as you can.

Cats are severely poisoned by the common garden plant known as the mum plant, or chrysanthemum. Chrysanthemums come in a variety of species, and they are all poisonous to cats. The mum plant is easily identified by its shrub-like form and hundreds of purple or yellow flowers. Several chemicals found in mum plants, such as pyrethrins, sesquiterpene, and lactones, are toxic to cats.

Mum Plant Poisoning Average Cost

From 471 quotes ranging from $100 – $300

Causes of Mum Plant Poisoning in Cats

The cause of mum poisoning in cats is ingestion. Toxins in the mum plant include lactones, pyrethrins, and sesquiterpene. One material that has the ability to trigger allergies and irritate the skin and mouth is lactones. Insecticides as well as flea and tick treatments for dogs and cats frequently contain pyrethrins. The exact effects of sesquiterpene in cats are unclear. It’s possible that the mum plant’s flowers have the highest levels of toxins. Because the gastrointestinal symptoms of poisonous plants manifest quickly after ingestion, your cat will typically avoid consuming large amounts of them. If your cat has consumed any part of the mother, err on the side of caution and take them to the veterinarian.


What should I do if my dog ate mums?

The normal protocol for mum poisoning is elimination of the toxins by emesis, detoxification with fluids, medication, and observation. To remove the toxins from your pet’s body, the veterinarian will induce vomiting with an injection.

What happens if a cat eats a mum plant?

Its only mildly toxic, chrysanthemums contain pyrethrins, which are used in dog flea and tick medications, and are particularly poisonous to cats. If your cat has eaten chrysanthemums lookout for vomiting, diarrhea, and lack of appetite and seeks advice from your vet.

Are mums okay to be around cats?

The mum plant, short for chrysanthemum, is a common garden plant that is very toxic to cats. There are several different species of chrysanthemum, all of which are toxic to cats. Recognize the mum plant by its shrub-like appearance featuring hundreds of purple or yellow flowers.

Are ornamental grasses toxic to cats?

These grasses add a wonderful splash of texture and color to your potting cat garden, so how wonderful that most are non-toxic to our furry friends. In addition, they are a popular favorite with the cats too.