can you feed cats watermelon

Cats can eat watermelon. But like any human food, be careful feeding your feline the fruit. Watermelon is non-toxic to cats and can be given as a treat from time to time, according to Purina. If you give your cat watermelon, it should be seedless.

How to feed watermelon to your cat

You must properly prepare watermelon if you want to give your cat a tiny piece of it. First, wash the fruit’s flesh thoroughly. Next, remove the seeds (which can choke a cat and contain cyanide). Finally, chop the fruit into small, bite-sized pieces before feeding it to your cat. If your cat likes the fruit, give it to them only occasionally as a treat.

Watermelon rind should not be given to cats as it is difficult for them to chew and digest and can lead to choking, intestinal blockages, or upset stomachs.

Don’t force it if your cat turns up their nose at the watermelon you offer them; they’re simply telling you that this fruit isn’t for them. Each cat is different, so some will enjoy the flavor and smell of watermelon while others won’t.

When feeding your cat treats (like watermelon), make sure to always abide by the 2010%%20rule, meaning that treats should only make up 10% of their diet, with the remaining 90% coming from their full and balanced food. Additionally, it’s a good idea to think about treats designed especially for cats, as these are typically safer for your pet and can even provide nutritional benefits in certain cases.

Now that you know the answer to the question, “Can cats eat watermelon?” are you curious about other foods your cat might be able to eat? Next, find out if cats can eat grapes.

Is watermelon good for cats?

Not particularly. Cats won’t really benefit from eating watermelon in the same way that humans do because they can get everything they need from a high-quality feline diet that contains animal products.

Additionally, because watermelon contains a lot of naturally occurring sugars, you should never feed it to cats who are overweight or have diabetes. Furthermore, since fruit isn’t a natural component of your cat’s diet, it’s not a good idea to give them too much of it as it may upset their stomach and result in diarrhea and not be very healthy for them.

Explore our cat brands: c_brand_discovery (cat)

can you feed cats watermelon

can you feed cats watermelon

can you feed cats watermelon

can you feed cats watermelon

can you feed cats watermelon

can you feed cats watermelon

can you feed cats watermelon


How much watermelon can a cat eat?

The fruit is non-toxic for cats and it’s fine for them to have occasionally as a small treat. However, it’s not a necessary part of their diet, so we wouldn’t advise to feed them watermelon too regularly, and just offer them one or two bite-sized pieces.

Why does my cat love watermelon?

Do Cats Like Watermelon? Most cats never develop a fondness for watermelon, but some seem to enjoy it. Since cats lack the taste glands needed to appreciate sweets, it probably isn’t the taste that these cats are attracted to, but rather the moisture or texture.

What fruit can cats not eat?

Cats should not be fed grapes or raisins as they can lead to kidney disease and organ failure. Citrus fruits (such as oranges, grapefruits, lemons and limes) are also mildly toxic for cats and can cause a stomach upset.

What happens if my cat eats watermelon seeds?

Similar to the danger of pets eating apple seeds, watermelon seeds contain cyanide, a substance that can be very dangerous for cats. While the amount of cyanide in one to two seeds isn’t enough to negatively affect humans, cats have much smaller and more delicate digestive systems.