are daffodils poisonous for cats

The short answer is yes. The whole plant is toxic, especially the bulb. As a part of the Amaryllidaceae family, daffodils are poisonous to cats, though rarely fatal. If your cat ingests any part of the plant, they can experience some level of toxicity.

Are Daffodils Poisonous To Cats?

are daffodils poisonous for cats

According to the ASPCA, daffodils and cats just don’t mix. Lovely though they are, these flowers can cause serious problems if they’re ingested or touched by your furry friend.

The offending toxin found in these low-maintenance plants is crystalline lycorine: an alkaloid that causes vomiting if consumed. Lycorine occurs in all parts of the daffodil, but is most concentrated in the bulbs. As such, the entire plant is off limits to your cat, but the bulb is by far the most toxic part.

The Pet Poison Helpline also informs us that needle-like calcium oxalate crystals contained in the outer layer of a daffodil’s bulb can cause skin irritation and drooling in cats.

What To Do If Your Cat Has Ingested A Daffodil

First, it’s important not to panic. Remember that, in certain cases, veterinary care is not necessary, particularly if your cat has only consumed a small amount of the plant. Remain composed and take out any visible plant material from your cat’s mouth or fur.

Although cat daffodil poisoning rarely results in death, you should still contact your veterinarian for more guidance. If treatment is required, the sooner it’s started, the better.

Tell your veterinarian, if you can, what portion of the daffodil your cat has eaten and how much of it. Better yet, bring a sample of the plant to the veterinarian’s office so they can assess how toxic it is. A quick snapshot on your phone will also work.

To treat daffodil poisoning, your vet may administer medication to induce vomiting. Activated charcoal can also be used to move the toxins through your cat’s digestive tract, according to PetMD. If your cat has been vomiting a lot, she may require intravenous fluids to combat dehydration.

Sign up or log in Sign up using Google Sign up using Email and Password

Required, but never shown


What happens if my cat eats a daffodil?

The spring flowers contain a poisonous alkaloid that can trigger vomiting while crystals in the bulbs are severely toxic and can cause serious conditions such as abnormal heart rhythms or breathing problems in cats and dogs.

Can I have daffodils in the house with cats?

Unfortunately, daffodils and our feline friends are not a good combination, as these bright flowers are poisonous to cats and can cause some serious harm if ingested.

What is the most toxic flower to cats?

Lilies. This beautiful unofficial symbol of Spring is among the most toxic flowers to cats. All varieties – including the Easter, Tiger, Stargazer, Red, Wood, and Day – are unsafe. With some flowers, the petals and the buds are the hazards for cats but, with lilies, it’s also the pollen, the leaves, and the stems.

What part of daffodils are poisonous?

From the bulb to the stem to the petals, daffodils contain a toxic chemical called lycorine. The daffodil bulb contains the highest amounts of lycorine. Lycorine is highly poisonous, and can be fatal if ingested in a large enough amount.