are daffodils safe for cats

As a part of the Amaryllidaceae family, daffodils are poisonous to cats, though rarely fatal. If your cat ingests any part of the plant, they can experience some level of toxicity.

Are Daffodils Poisonous To Cats?

are daffodils safe for cats

According to the ASPCA, daffodils and cats just don’t mix. Lovely though they are, these flowers can cause serious problems if they’re ingested or touched by your furry friend.

The offending toxin found in these low-maintenance plants is crystalline lycorine: an alkaloid that causes vomiting if consumed. Lycorine occurs in all parts of the daffodil, but is most concentrated in the bulbs. As such, the entire plant is off limits to your cat, but the bulb is by far the most toxic part.

The Pet Poison Helpline also informs us that needle-like calcium oxalate crystals contained in the outer layer of a daffodil’s bulb can cause skin irritation and drooling in cats.

3 Answers 3 Sorted by:

You might be correct that the cat won’t be harmed by the small amount of daffodil ingested, but you might also be wrong. For me, the concerning thing is that you mentioned throwing up, which is one of the symptoms, as TrondHansen notes.

This is what the ASPCA have to say about Narcissus (Daffodil):

Now, youve already got one of the symptoms and perhaps you are right that it was caused by the dried pasta but again you just dont know. The bulb being the most poisonous part is encouraging because youve said they only ate the flower but PetMD says:

It’s likely that I’ve mentioned “might” and “perhaps” a lot so far, but that’s because it’s hard to tell over the internet. I would take my cat to the veterinarian right away if I knew it had consumed even a tiny amount of a poisonous plant and was now throwing up.

Disclaimer – Im not a Vet

To keep an eye on him, I installed a webcam and called a veterinarian. The veterinarian informed me over the phone that the vomiting was most likely caused by the ingestion of plant matter rather than specifically daffodils and that it probably wasn’t a big deal because it came out pretty quickly and had little time to be absorbed. But Ill be on the lookout. Nothing suspicious over the webcam so far either.

Your cat should be fine.

The plant contains the toxic alkaloid lycorine. Bulbs also contain irritant oxalates. But when a fresh plant is acquired, the majority of the toxic effects happen. A dried one will not do that much.

Symptoms of eating any part of the daffodil plant include diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea. This is not something that kills. Certain unpleasant feelings (ranging from a burning sensation to a bad taste) are brought on by the plant’s indirect effects; however, the majority of these effects are caused by new ones.

Animals that only consumed large amounts of food have been reported to exhibit more severe symptoms. After being eliminated from the digestive system, a tiny dried amount shouldn’t have any negative consequences.

Cats’ tendency to throw up is typical for their digestive systems, and they can consume a lot of food without experiencing many negative effects. Cats typically use this method to get rid of anything bad for them, including hairballs.

I’m not opposed to going to the vet, but don’t let the circumstances scare you too much. He will probably recommend good hydration.

Thanks for contributing an answer to Pets Stack Exchange!

  • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!.
  • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.
  • expressing opinions and supporting them with references or firsthand knowledge

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. Draft saved Draft discarded.

What Are The Signs Of Daffodil Poisoning In Cats?

The amount and part of the plant that a cat eats will determine how severe their daffodil poisoning is. Poisoning symptoms may manifest as soon as two hours following ingestion. Pet owners are advised by the ASPCA to keep an eye out for the following symptoms of daffodil poisoning:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • abdominal pain
  • Salivation and drooling
  • Labored breathing
  • Shivering
  • Lethargy

Your cat may also have tremors, heart arrhythmias, and low blood pressure if she consumed a significant amount of the flower.

While more commonly seen in human gardeners who handle a lot of daffodils, some cats can also have pesky skin reactions to the plant. “Daffodil pickers’ rash” can develop in response to the plant’s calcium oxalate crystals: sharp particles that irritate the skin. These crystals are most concentrated in the sap of the stems and bulbs of daffodils.

In most cases, symptoms will clear up on their own within 12-48 hours. If you strongly suspect your cat has eaten a daffodil, however, don’t wait for symptoms to appear: act quickly, and call your vet ASAP. He or she will be able to advise you on what steps to take next.


What happens if my cat eats a daffodil?

The spring flowers contain a poisonous alkaloid that can trigger vomiting while crystals in the bulbs are severely toxic and can cause serious conditions such as abnormal heart rhythms or breathing problems in cats and dogs.

Can I have daffodils in the house with cats?

Unfortunately, daffodils and our feline friends are not a good combination, as these bright flowers are poisonous to cats and can cause some serious harm if ingested.

Are tulips or daffodils poisonous to cats?

Lilies, daffodils, azaleas, and tulips are just a few of the common flowers that can be lethal to cats.

Are daffodils toxic to pets?

Yes, daffodils are poisonous to dogs and you should keep them away from your pet. These plants contain a toxic component called lycorine which can cause digestive upset when ingested. There are other substances in a daffodil flower that might also cause irritation to the skin and to the mouth and throat if ingested.