are easter lilies poisonous to cats and dogs

The flower has become a holiday mainstay synonymous with Easter because it symbolizes purity and innocence. Despite its popularity, the Easter lily, also known as Lilium longiflorum, can be hazardous to some pets. According to the ASPCA, Easter lilies are toxic to cats, but are not known to harm dogs or horses.

Signs and Symptoms of Cats Eating Easter Lilies

With 10 to 11 million lilies produced annually in the US, you should be aware of the signs and symptoms associated with a cat eating a lily, just in case yours does. Even if you choose not to have lilies in your home or yard to protect your pet.

A cat that consumes an Easter lily—or any other dangerous lily, for that matter—will begin to throw up shortly after. Furthermore, if your cat eats a lily, it may experience dehydration, diarrhea, lack of appetite, and depressive symptoms.

Common signs that you’ll want to be watching for are:

  • Inappetence or anorexia (your cat can’t or won’t eat)
  • Lethargy or depression
  • Hiding
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration
  • Increased or decreased urination

Easter lily plants are poisonous to cats, and the fact that they can die within seven days of consumption if left untreated is even more concerning. This may occur considerably sooner if your cat has eaten a significant amount of the plant.

What to Do if Your Dog Eats an Easter Lily

You shouldn’t worry if your dog eats a few Easter lily petals this holiday. However, if he was extremely avaricious, keep an eye out for some of these signs:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration
  • Vocalization of pain
  • Lethargy

Take your dog to the veterinarian for additional testing if he displays any of these signs following a meal of a lily or any other plant.

Are Easter Lilies Poisonous to Dogs?

This week, when you go flower shopping for the holidays, you might wonder if Easter lilies are toxic to dogs.

The short answer is NO. According to the ASPCA, Easter lilies are not poisonous to dogs.

Like most things, Easter lilies are not deadly to dogs, but if ingested in large quantities, they can still cause intestinal discomfort. Because a dog’s digestive system isn’t used to handling significant amounts of uncooked plant material, your inquisitive pet may have diarrhea, vomiting, or upset stomach.

But be careful if you have cats—the Easter lily plant is extremely poisonous to them. Easter lilies can induce kidney failure in cats, which can lead to death, even in small doses.


How toxic are Easter lilies to cats?

According to, if a cat ingests even a tiny amount of this plant, it can cause dangerous symptoms, including kidney failure, and lead to death. Early signs that your cat may have eaten this plant include vomiting, lack of appetite and lethargy. Seek immediate medical attention.

What happens if a dog eats Easter lily?

Although they’re not lethal to dogs, Easter lilies can still cause intestinal discomfort if consumed in large quantities (like most things). Since a dog’s digestive system isn’t accustomed to processing large amounts of raw plant matter, your curious canine could experience an upset stomach, vomiting, or diarrhea.

Can I have lilies in the house with a cat?

The entire lily plant is toxic: the stem, leaves, flowers, pollen, and even the water in a vase. Eating just a small amount of a leaf or flower petal, licking a few pollen grains off its fur while grooming, or drinking the water from the vase can cause your cat to develop fatal kidney failure in less than 3 days.

Which lilies are not toxic to cats?

However, not all lilies are poisonous to cats, while some species such as Calla, Peace and Peruvian lilies do not cause kidney damage, but can still cause irritation and gastrointestinal signs if ingested. To avoid your cat coming to any harm, it is a good idea to cat-proof your garden.