can a cat recover from antifreeze poisoning

The sooner your pet receives veterinary treatment, the better their chances of survival. If left untreated, antifreeze poisoning can cause pain, suffering, distress and ultimately death. Never ‘watch and wait’. If you suspect your pet’s been poisoned, contact a vet immediately.

What is ethylene glycol?

In most car antifreeze products, the active ingredient is ethylene glycol, an odorless, sweet-tasting liquid. Additionally, some windshield de-icing agents, hydraulic brake fluid, motor oils, solvents, paints, film processing solutions, wood stains, inks, printer cartridges, and other items contain ethylene glycol in smaller, less dangerous amounts.

What are the signs of ethylene glycol poisoning?

Ethylene glycol poisoning is divided into three stages.

Stage 1 (between 30 and 12 hours after consumption): The cat might seem inebriated. Lethargy, vomiting, incoordination, excessive thirst, urination, hypothermia (low body temperature), convulsions, and coma are among the symptoms.

Stage 2 (12 to 24 hours after ingestion): A few of the symptoms appear to significantly improve, giving pet owners hopelessness. But cats become dehydrated at this point and experience an increase in heart and breathing rates.

Stage 3: 12 to 24 hours after ingestion: This stage may result in irreversible kidney failure. Lethargy, lack of appetite, vomiting, seizures, coma, and death may be observed along with progressive depression.

If your pet has consumed ethylene glycol or even if you suspect that they have, it is imperative that you contact your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline, a round-the-clock animal poison control center, at 1-800-213-6680. If your pet is displaying any of the early symptoms. Waiting around is not an option; cats who have consumed antifreeze should receive treatment as soon as possible, as the antidote has a limited window of time to act. Left untreated, the animal may die.

How to Prevent Antifreeze Poisoning in Cats

Keeping your feline companions indoors will minimize their exposure to ethylene glycol, which is the best way to protect them from it. Keep all chemicals safely secured and stored. In the event that you witness a chemical spill or leak from a car, locate a suitable absorbent material and thoroughly wash the affected area using soap and water.

Featured : iStock/Mr.Chiawchan Thaikrathoke


How does a cat act after drinking antifreeze?

Signs Your Pet Has Ingested Ethylene Glycol Antifreeze is rapidly absorbed and metabolized once it has been consumed. Thirty minutes after drinking antifreeze, a pet can appear to be drunken or wobbly, a condition known as ataxia. Pets may also drink excessive amounts of water and urinate more frequently.

How much antifreeze does it take to harm a cat?

It is ethylene glycol, a chemical commonly used in antifreeze. Antifreeze is said to be sweet and animals like to eat or drink it. But ingestion of antifreeze can often be fatal if it’s not immediately treated. Even a relatively small amount can prove lethal: one teaspoon (1.4ml) is enough to kill a cat.

How long does it take for antifreeze to affect an animal?

Soon after drinking antifreeze, some dogs may be wobbly on their feet, may dribble or be sick. After around 12 hours, dogs may seem to recover, but from around 2-3 days their kidneys may stop working properly and they may become very tired, be sick, go off their food and they can develop fitting or go in to a coma.